I was having a conversation with someone who left her ATM card in the machine. That immediately made me think of my post here where I went to a gas station and paid, then proceeded to leave without pumping any gas. So, being the internet attention whore that I am, I sent her the link to my post. She replied by saying â€œIs that a wedding ring on your finger?â€ (Iâ€™d added pictures from the post Iâ€™d found on the web for illustrative purposes, none of which were me)
The idea hit me: I would never have noticed that. If Iâ€™d looked at that picture ten thousand times, I would never have seen that there was a wedding ring, but I think that nearly every woman would have. That made me think: there are several things that women notice that men do not.
When we see a girl, we notice several things subconsciously, and a wedding ring is not one of them. After our conscious mind assesses the situation, we may then remind ourselves to actually LOOK for the ring. So it’s just not an innate process. It’s something we get to after information gathering.
With women, it seems like that’s part of the immediate assessment. And I think there are other things like this that are immediately noticed by one sex, but not by the other.
Iâ€™ve done a very scientific poll to find these things that vary by gender (I sent a mass email to a group of friends). Hereâ€™s what Iâ€™ve collected so far. Please add yours:
- --construction sites….guys always want to peer in and see what’s ‘goin on’
- –the score of whatever game is on as they walk by a bar w/ a tv……not exclusively guys though, Boston is a town where many women do this, but people outside Boston read your blog
- –a cool car driving by
- –what’s on sale in a Best Buy, etc…
- –where to get steak at the best price
- –how much gas is left in the grill / how much charcoal & fluid is left…..guys don’t even need to go check, they just know.
- Dangerous people not to mouth off to. Chicks tend to just say what they’re going to say and don’t think they’re going to get slapped silly. And guess who’s left holding the bag.
- Curtains- I don’t know if I’ve ever noticed a single curtain.
- Wedding rings
- Other women that they think are prettier- Sometimes followed by the classic deathtrap “Do you think she’s prettier than me?” If you ever get that question, run. Don’t look back. Just start a new life in a new city. Trust me.
- non-matching socks
- when we wear the same pants three days in a row- An excellent one, sir.
- How a room is decorated- I totally agree with this. If someone asked “Don’t you like what they’ve done to the living room?” The answer is always “Yes,” but I will not have committed anything to memory.
So please, pile on the comments.